Monday 7 January 2013

'The Final Page'

Barney's last proposal was just magical. This one was LEGEN.... wait for it... DARY!

 
This episode just made my day. Seriously, I couldn't stop smiling for hours afterwards. Why? 'Cause these two crazy lovers just got engaged! My ship is end game!
 

I had suspected for a couple weeks or so before seeing the episode that Barney was up to something. Surely Barney wouldn't be done chasing Robin forever? Surely he realised he's the one that's always done the chasing? Surely he would tell Robin that so she can chase him for once? And when I saw Barney with Patrice (Dammit PATRICE!!!) I began to get really skeptical. Especially afterwards when we see them together. I mean, from the vibe I got from them I would've called them, at the most, good friends. Heck, Barney doesn't even make moves on her (not even a lil' peck on the cheek or something). I agreed with Robin: something must be going on. I didn't believe these two were for real at all.
 
My confidence took a hit when Barney burned the Playbook. At first, I was mad. Imagine if Season 1 Barney time-travelled to that moment, just over seven years in the future! He would've went nuts. But I thought about the situation: what if Barney was so committed to getting Robin back that he'll sacrifice even a most treasured possession? Just more evidence for how in love he is with her? It had to be, otherwise my faith in him would've went out the window.
 
My belief in the whole Barney's-faking-it scheme grew further when I discovered the title of the last episode of the year: "The Robin". Hmm, I wonder what other names in the show have always started with "the"? Of course, the Playbook. And of course it could only get better from there: the title was later changed to "The Final Page: Part 2". It couldn't be more clearer than that. Actually it can: the January episode titles convinced me that Barney and Robin had to engaged by those episodes.
 
In "The Final Page Part 1", Barney showed Ted an beautiful engagement ring. I didn't think, "Barney, WTH dude? You're making a big mistake! You've only been with Patrice for three episodes!" Instead I thought, "That's totally for Robin! She's going to be flattered!" I had no doubt.
 
Now let's talk about the actual proposal moment. At this point, you're probably thinking I had somehow correctly predicted EVERYTHING that was going to happen. That was not the case. I imagined the proposal going a bit differently. For some reason, I pictured Barney and Patrice together when Robin comes bursting out there and trying to convince Barney why he shouldn't get married to Patrice without actually saying "I love you". Then Barney would come clean: he's not proposing to Patrice; he's proposing to Robin. And of course, she'll say yes.
 
Believe or not, my expectations were nothing compared to what actually happened.
 
For one thing, Patrice wasn't there (now to come think of it, it was a bit silly to picture her there). Second, The Robin went back a bit further than I had thought it did: all the way back to "Splitsville" when Barney did that amazing "fake" speech, and I wouldn't have guess that "drunk" kiss was all part of the plan. Barndoor, you continue to amaze me and other viewers. Congrats.
 
Then Robin yells at Barney. I didn't blame her, actually. Of course you would be mad after being lied to for weeks. Then the next step of the play was revealed: "Step 16: hope she says yes". Cue Barney on one knee with the ring. Cue the beautiful music. Cue the tears.
 
I just started crying out of nowhere. Just out of pure happiness. I don't remember the last time I ever cried out of sheer joy, but I'm sure I'll remember this one. I've waited years for this moment. Heck, I doubt the Mother Reveal can beat this. And the reason the Mother Reveal will happen at all is because of this moment!
 
So now I'm looking forward to the next half of Season 8. Hopefully I can catch "Band or DJ" next week.
 
P.S: Well done to Neil Patrick Harris and Cobie Smulders. Looking forward to even more amazing acting and chemistry! 

No comments:

Post a Comment